Vision: “HEALTHY PASTURES – SUSTAINABLE LIVELIHOOD"
Mission: “The Mongolian Society for Rangeland Management (MSRM) promotes sustainable pasture management in Mongolia through creation and strengthening herders’ self governing institutes within boundaries of territories and support and harmonization of all stakeholders’ activities”.
The MSRM was established in 2007 by the initiatives of several people who were increasingly concerned about the loss of traditional regime of pasture management in Mongolia, a lack of government policy and legislative regulation arrangement and , most importantly, the problems of tragedy of the commons faced in pasture management and use. Pasture research works and studies are conducted only when the fund from international donors and researches is available.
The framework of the activities of this society which was initiated and established by several people has, nowadays, expanded into NGO which has its own building of premise and employs 30 staff who are spread over 4 teams: research technology team, community development team, training, information and advocacy team and administration team. The Society has national and international advisory teams. The activities of the Society runs under the sustainable objective and long term work plan. Our society is cooperating with international and national donors, research institutes, government organizations and non governmental organizations to suppor the initiatives of herders for establishment and strengthening of herders’ self governing institutes in 67 soums in 10 aimags and strengthening a national level pasture monitoring network. In these areas, the Society has been implementing the following activities:
- A pasture management project was implemented in 10 soums of Khovd aimag in 2008 in the framework of the contract established with SDC.
- Study tours following the world pasture research conference were organized in Mongolia.
- In cooperation with Administration Division of Inter Aimag Otor Land Use under the MoFALI a pasture management plan for otor lands was developed in Herlenbayanulaan soum.
- In 2009, the Society cooperated with National Agency of Meteorology, Hydrology and Environment under the Ministry of Nature, Environment and Tourism to establish a monitoring system of pasture lands.
- Jointly with national and international scientists, a comprehensive socio-economic and ecological study called “The Livelihood Study of Herders in Mongolia” was conducted and a full scale report was produced.
- The Society has been implementing the second phase of Green Gold Programme on the basis of contract established with SDC.
- Dzud Relief and Prevention Project was implemented to provide assistance to herders affected by 2009-2010 dzud.
- A national conference “Improving pasture legal environment” was organized in cooperation with Parliament Standing Committee of Environment, Food and Agriculture, MoFALI, SDC, World Bank funded Sustainable Livelihood –II Programme and Pasture Management in Urban Areas Project funded by Millenium Account.
- Sustainable Pasture Management Project funded by Ivanhoe Mines Co Ltd is being implemented in Khanbogd soum, Umnugovi aimag.
- Evaluation Study of Pasture Conditions in Urban Areas is in progress in 2011 with the financial support of Pasture Management in Urban Areas Project, Millenium Account.
Honorary members and initiators of the Society:
N.Lkhagvajav, S.Jigjidsuren, D.Dorligsuren, Ts.Enkh-Amgalan, M.Dubach
Members of the Society:
S.Tushig, U,Budbaatar, М.Sergelen, T.Erdenechuluun, N.Gankhuyag, B.Bolormaa, L.Gantsogt, B.Batbuyan, D.Bolormaa, S,Otgontsetseg, Ts.Enkh-Amgalan. Yo.Zagdsuren. M.Olonbayar, D/Amarjargal and Ts.Sukhtulga,