The supreme authority of the society is Congress since 2010 when the society has obtained the status of the membership based organization.
The supreme authority is granted to the Steering Committee when the Congress is temporarily off and session holding. The Steering Committee convenes a session of the Congress every four years.
The session of the Congress comes in effect when not less than 51% of the members of the society have attended the assembly. Voting at the session takes places in open way and decision is mad e based on a majority of votes.
Based on votes by not less than one fifth of the society members or request from the Monitoring Council the non extraordinary Congress session may be held.
The Congress makes decisions based on a majority of votes and issues resolutions which come into effect unless the issues are not stated otherwise.
The Steering Committee approves the agenda and time for the Congress Session and officially informs the members of the society 30 days before the date of Congress Session starts. At the same time, the official information about on the Congress is provided via the media.
The members of the society can attend the Congress session or authorized officer can attend the session to represent the members. If there is justifiable excuse, nominated representative can attend the session to represent the members.
The issue regarding ceasing and cancelling the activities of the society is decided by votes of not less than two third of all members.
The society does not take any responsibility for damages and accompanying consequences from illegal acts by members of the society, members of the steering committee and officers of the society.
The mandate of the Society Congress
- To fix the number of members of the Steering Committee and the Monitoring Council, release them from membership and elect into membership
- To discuss, approve and amend the key guideline and rule of the activities of the society
- To approve the budget and balance of the activities of the society
- To discuss and make decision about work reports of the society and reports of the monitoring council
- To establish and cancel part time branches, councils and commissions at the society and approve their budgets
- To discuss and approve particular budget which is in line with key goals of the activities and place control over its implementation
- To discuss the outputs and results of foreign relations and cooperation of the society
- To approve annual budgets of the society
- Institutional set at and arrangement of the society
- To pursue the law of non governmental organizations and other activities specified in the current rule.
FIRST CONGRESS OF THE MONGOLIAN SOCIETY FOR RANGE MANAGEGMENT
The first Congress of the members of the Mongolian Society for Range Management was held in a conference room of the MSRM building on January 11, 2010:
1. Needs for the MSRM obtain membership
Reporter: MSRM Executive Director D.Dorligsuren
2. Discussion and approval of the rule of the MSRM
Reporter: MSRM officer Ts.Sukhtulga
3. Major guideline of 2010-2013 activities by the MSRM
Reporter: MSRM Executive Director D.Dorligsuren
4. Rule of membership of the MSRM
Reporter: MSRM officer Ts.Sukhtulga
5. Comments and recommendations
6. Organizational issues: electing the members of the Steering Committee and Auditing Board of the MSRM and appointing the Executive Director of the MSRM.
The Congress was attended by 56 representatives from the soums in Zavkhan, Khovd, Uvs, Bayan-Ulgii, Arkhangai, Govi-Altai, Bayankhongor, Dundgovi and Tuv aimags. The Congress was also attended by the invitees Deputy Country Director of SDC in Mongolia, M. Meyer, SDC National Program Officer, Ts.Enkh-Amgalan, Advisor of Green Gold Project Dr. Avaadorj, Dr S.Jigjidsuren, Dr Yo.Zagdsuren and head of Fodder Evaluation Laboratory of Research Institute of Animal Husbandry Dr D.Bolormaa.
After having discussed the organizational issue the members have agreed to keep the number of members of Steering Committee at 19 and the number of the Auditing Board at 3. The elected members of the Steering Committee had a meeting to have appointed M.Olonbayar as Chair of the Steering Committee and D.Dorligsuren, Project Manager of Green Gold programme as Executive Director.
Steering Committee members (SC):
- N.Togtokhbayar Agriculture University
- L.Davaa NAFP
- D.Avaadorj МSRMadvisor
- Yo.Zagdsuren МSRM advisor
- S.Jigjidsuren MSRM advisor
- D.Bolormaa AHRI
- D.Banzragc MNET
- J.Davaabaatar ALAGAC
- М.Оlonbayar МSRMadvisor
- М.Suvd МSRM legal advisor,
- А.Аhai Bayan-Ulgii
- А.Оtgonbayar Khоvд
- S.Nyamdorj Uvs
- Ch.Altantsetseg Zavkhan
- D.Jargalsaikhan Dundgovi
- Ts.Oyun Тuv
- B.Erdenebileg Bayanhongor
- B.Boldbaatar Govi-Altai
- J.dashzeveg Аrkhangai
Auditing Board members (AB):
- R.Orosoo Lecturer of Mongolian State University of Agriculture
- Oyunnaran Аrkhangai, Khashaat, environmental officer
- N.Gankhuyag МSRM officer
Comments and recommendations by the members:
- The rule does not state that MSRM has Academic council.
- To change the wording “has membership” to the wording “serves members”.
- Science journal which is in Part 1.2 of the Work Plan should not only cover the topic of pasture studies but also the topic of other related sectoral studies.
- To state that it has science, Research and Development committee and Academic council.
- To specify the name and title of responsible parties in the work plan.
- It is necessary to solve the issues relating to herders, pastures, fodders and marketing. In order to solve marketing issues, the veterinarian issues need to be cover in complex way. For that purpose, the society should make in-depth research works and use the results in policy making in future.
It is very crucial that such a society has been established to put usually scattered and unorganized herders into groups and unions in order to protect their rights and interests and promote their collective efforts. My proposals are as follows:
- To elaborate whether the member is obliged to membership fee within a year of joining the society. I propose that these members are not obliged to payment of membership fee within the year of joining the society.
- Organizing a national forum of pasture users before draft pasture law is debated will be very important. As well, there is a need to organize scientific and production conference at national and local levels and organize herders’ training, herders frequently make this proposal. Final but not the least is to strengthen the cooperation with pasture management societies overseas.
- The Society should carry out ongoing active activities in the country and overseas. Thus, the head of the society should be a person who has a command of foreign language and knowledgeable. M.Olonbayar, specialized in animal genetics and knowledgeable in Russian and English has been working for the Society the longest years. Therefore, we propose him for the position of head of the society.
Gansukh/Khov aimag, Bulgan soum/:
- Today’s herders mainly consist of those who went to herding in the 70s and those who dropped out of school in the 90s. Thus, we face the need to prepare the young generation of herders.
Ahai/Bayan-Ulgii aimag, Tsengel soum/:
- Pasture specialists should be prepared in capacity of maintaining the continuity of next generation of specialists.
- To make contribution to having pasture law endorsed.
- To think of how to reach the voices of herders to the government and organize well intended national assembly of pasture users “Thousand Herders’ Assembly”.
Hurelchullum/Khovd aimag, Munkhkhairkhan soum/:
- To have a regular weekly programme at least in the agenda of Mongol Radio
- Heads of NGOs in 55 soums from 9 aimags to make at least one initiative and implement it. As for me I have put forward an initiative to establish a center for livestock products and employ 15 persons in our soum. Next year when we meet next year we can bring 55 brand products that can be developed over the last year.
- To add the statement in the rule about cooperation of the MSRM with government organizations,to actively participate in government activities an member organizations to actively participate.
- To facilitate members to participate in training and research by the Society.
Gantumur/Khovd aimag, Chandmani soum/:
- To specify livestock health issues in the major guideline.
- To advocate herders’ proposals and comments through the mass media.
- To state that aimag and soums have branches. These branches can develop their rules and regulate their fees and premiums in accordance with their rule which states the concerned.
Erdenemyagmar/Zavkhan aimag, Yaruu soum/:
- To include the statement in the major guideline this spells out about training for school drop out herders.
Jargalsaikhan/Dundgovi aimag, Ulziit soum/:
- The major guideline should include the statement about MSRM support to students and herders’ children studying pasture management like the AU which trains professional herders,.
Otgonbayar/Khovd soum, Yench soum/:
- It will be more effective to make advocacy through TV rather than newspapers and radio.
- Large amount of cash is not always right assistance to herders. Psychological support especially when they are in after dzud difficult circumstances, so MSRM can send to herders messages which encourage them.
ОdkhuuKhovd aimag, Zereg soum/:
- Each aimag should prepare the materials for one page of Green Gold newspaper published by MSRM.
- One of the series of a weekly programme “Herder” by Mongol Radio can be devoted to pasture issues.
- Attention should be paid to advocating the measures taken by a number of people with concrete successful results.
The Congress has decided to reflect these proposals in the activities to be taken by the society. The second Congress of the society is due in 2014.